Thursday, July 15, 2010

Inbroad in the South

Who knew this blog would be recyclable? I have been meaning to revive it for the past month to document my latest inbroad adventure, and finally KD's tornado blog gave me the push to action that I needed.

As a brief(ish) introduction to anyone unfamiliar, when all my college friends were going abroad junior year and I wasn't, I was inspired to create this blog as documentation of my "inbroad" semester staying at Bates. Now, a year and a half later, I've graduated and moved to Nashville, Tennessee a week later. I didn't go abroad in college because I'm horrible at the initial adjustment to new situations and didn't want to risk a semester's worth of tuition and education gambling on the fact that I was ready for a big one. But now, after more practice (e.g. living on my own in DC last summer) and thanks to a nurturing workplace here, I've made it a little further abroad!

The minor culture shock of adjusting to Southern life makes this experience a little more abroad than my original home-sweet-home-at-Bates semester inbroad. Also, technically, it's not a semester. I mean, I'm hoping this job will last more than the 12 weeks it would have at Bates -- if I get fired at the end of the summer I don't think I'll have made back my relocation costs. But regardless, the name of the blog is eerily fitting, so I'm keeping it and filling it with new thoughts and stories.

I'll likely be blabbing about the usual fun and learning involved with living in the "real world" for the first time as well as my interests (ones new since my move include striving for more healthy and frugal living as well as shopping at Goodwill.)

I'll leave you with the words of the eternal M. Cyrus: "This definitely [is] a Nashville party."

0 comments: